Special Award for Small Business
Awarded to a small business (fewer than 20 employees or full-time equivalents) demonstrating an exemplary health and safety program, innovation, and proven injury prevention and/or return to work track record.
This may include, but is not limited to, any of the following:
- Solutions to identified risks
- A demonstrated commitment to safety
- Improved consultation
- Training programs
- Toolbox meetings where occupational health and safety is discussed; or
- Any other practice that has improved occupational health and safety performance in your business and helped employees who are injured return to work in a safe and timely manner.
View past winners.
To enter in this category, your submission needs to detail the following:
- What is/are the workplace health and safety practice(s) that have been implemented?
- How did you identify the need for the health and safety practice(s)? For example:
- Did you talk to your employees?
- Did you do a walk around inspection?
- Did you review past records?
- Did you identify a hazard?
- To what extent were employees and/or organizations or other people involved in the development of the health and safety practice(s) in your workplace? How did your employees contribute to this process?
- Where hazards have been addressed, how did you identify them and assess the risk or likelihood they may result in an injury or illness?
- How did you consider all possible risk control measures when developing or improving the health and safety practice(s) in your workplace? Control measures may include:
- Eliminating the risk
- Engineering controls
- Administrative controls
- Personal protective equipment
- How did you record your health and safety work practices? How can employees assess them?
- How did you communicate to employees about the health and safety work practices? For example, how were they trained or made aware of these practices?
- What effect have these practices had on your business? For example:
- Health and safety
- A copy of your organization’s occupational health and safety code of practice as required under Sections 27 and 28 of the Occupational Health & Safety Act (if applicable).
- A photo of posted occupational health and safety materials in your workplace as required under Sections 9(2), 37, 38 and 39 of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
Award finalists may be visited by members of the judging panel to verify claims made in the proposals and gain further context.
Workers’ Compensation Board of NS
PO Box 1150
5668 South Street
Halifax, NS B3J 2Y2
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org